Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 23, 2008

From Phoenix to the Grand Canyon

Me and Kelly left our room on Sunday, Oct 26 (the same day as the Chargers/Saints game in London) and headed Southbound on I-17 to the Heard Museum. Me and Kelly got a great education in Native American art from Arizona and saw how cool the art looked. Me and Kelly got some great decorating tips from the style chica. It was a cool exhibit inside the Heard Museum which was put together by Kathy Cano-Murillo of the Arizona Republic. Some of it was very glittery.

Next, from the Heard Museum to Sedona.

Me and Kelly were crusing Northbound on I-17 and suddenly we hear word of and see signs of a major traffic accident up ahead. We dumped off the freeway at the Happy Valley Road exit and took a bunch of side streets to Carefree Highway. I got to see a part of North Phoenix that I've never seen before. I was amazed at all of the houses that were near the mountains and on the desert.

I spent some time on Carefree Highway and inside an Albertson's trying to plot our strategy to get to Sedona. The best thing that we did was simply wait it out and wait for the traffic to clear up, which it did.

Back on I-17 to Exit 298:

We get off at that exit that leads to Sedona (AZ Hwy 179) and drove about 20 minutes before hitting Sedona and seeing all the red rocks.

Me and Kelly stopped along a roadsite pullout and got some pictures together before driving along State Hwy 89a towards flagstaff. Me and Kelly admired the inescapable beauty of the Sedona Red Rocks before traveling into the Flagstaff Night.

Me and Kelly took the drive from Hwy 89a to I-17 North to I-40 West (Bypassing Downtown Flagstaff along the way). It was very dark along I-40 where we were driving for about a half-hour. As we got on I-40, I remember this part of the road sign: Los Angeles, 492 miles away.

We got onto State Hwy 64 North heading towards our destination, the Grand Canyon (Tusayan, Arizona was where our room was for 2 days). It was even darker outside and There wasn't a whole lot to see on the road. I felt like I was driving miles and miles for miles and miles. I didn't see much for dinner until we saw this little cafe along the side of the road, and so we stopped there for a dinner and a brew (coffee for me).

Finally, Success!!!! Me and Kelly have arrived near our destination, the Grand Canyon. We will see the majesty that is the Grand Canyon for the next 2 days.

No comments: