Total Pageviews

Friday, February 20, 2009

From Yuma to San Diego

For October 29, 2008

Kelly and I started the day in Yuma, Arizona. I was recovered from a blazin' hot wing from Buffalo Wild Wings. My face turned coke can red for a short time, but I'm doing well. Kelly and I started the day at the Cracker Barrel off of 16th st. & I-8. Cracker Barrel rules!!!

From the Cracker Barrel we moved Southbound on U.S. 95 (16th st) and then the hwy took a 90 degree turn to really go due South towards the Mexican Border. I passed through towns I've never crossed in the short time I lived in Yuma in 1987. I passed through Somerton, Gadsden, and then San Luis, Arizona. Me and Kelly got ever so close to the border before we crossed. As a matter of fact, we didn't cross and we took a right (paralell to the border fence). I was in Awe of what was on the other side of the border (a Circle K and a Pemex gas station). It made me want to cross into Mexico at that point.

We stayed in Yuma to go to the Yuma Territorial Prison (a tourist attraction today, a hellhole in the early 20th century). I'll visit there again someday. I could see I-8, the Colorado River, and the State of California. I stayed in Yuma some more for some beef tacos over at Las Palapas. I recommend that place for great tacos anytime.

After our stay in Yuma ended, we headed West on I-8, straight to San Diego.

On Interstate 8, it was a 2 lane freeway from Yuma to El Cajon, California. Kelly and I took a brief detour on a road that led to some sand dunes in Imperial County, California. I told Kelly that parts of "Spaceballs" was filmed in those parts of sand. Now we were on our way to San Diego.

We passed through El Centro and then started our windy jaunts around the mountains of San Diego County on I-8 and encountered elevations as high as 4,000 feet. Kelly was fascinated by the roadside stops where you could get water (that was designed for the summertime heat for cars to survive). Finally in El Cajon, the road would expand to 3 and 4 lanes and we saw civilization. We saw things like gas stations, Denny's, shopping centers, and some traffic. I was so glad to have Kelly with me on our journey to San Diego. I've been to San Diego now 4 years in a row.

Sadly, I got lost in the city I know. I got off the freeway at the Hotel Circle exit because I thought that it would lead me to my hotel destination. Sadly, I landed on a Dead End. Luckily, I remembered that The hotel was on Camino Del Rio South. For some reason, I thought that the 2 differet Camion Del Rios (North and South) were one way streets. I was wrong. I now know that the hotel is on the side where I-8 drivers go Eastbound.

In San Diego, Kelly and I took a drive from the hotel to the Gaslamp District. Driving directions: I-8 West to I-5 South towards Downtown and then I got off the freeway at the Front Street Exit. That would lead me to 2nd avenue towards downtown. A few one way streets later, a parking deck and some dinner in the gaslamp. Cafe Sevilla, here we come.

After dinner at Cafe Sevilla, I convince Kelly to come with me to Gharardelli Ice Cream shop for some dessert. I didn't disappoint (and neither did the ice cream).

Dessert put me over the top. Now, time to call it a night, for there would be a fun day in store in San Diego on Thursday, October 30, 2008.

No comments: