Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Dreaming of being a producer

Last week, I had a dream. I had an awesome dream. I didn't mean to quote Billy Ocean, but I did. I had a dream where I was basically told that I can become a producer. I had producers and reporters talk to me in my dreams that I can accomplish this great goal that I have in real life. In reality, I have started taking steps to this goal. It's almost like an epiphany if you will. I know that I have to do more than just be a video editor for the rest of my career. The steps that I have taken so far are practicing my writing, studying the day's news rundown to see how a show gets put together, and submitting sample scripts to the producers and writers to get their feedback on my efforts. I will sum up my writing efforts as follows, two "good jobs", two suggested improvements, and one 'watch what you say and how you say it.' Part of my problem is self-motivation. I have to overcome that in order to get to the next level of my career. I have to get out of my editing comfort zone and try new things. My boss even told me that he wants more than just VO/SOT cutters before he ultimately hired me. I'm going to do everything I can not to let him down and I will make him proud of me. Starting again on Sunday, I will practice my script writing and I will get some feedback on my work. Let the fun begin.

No comments: