Total Pageviews

Friday, September 26, 2014

A pretty good dream turns BAD (ASU vs. UCLA)

I had a dream last night where I was watching the UCLA/Arizona State game on TV.  It was a miracle that Arizona State was in the lead in the 2nd quarter.  It was as if I was watching TV in my bedroom.  That was the place I was sleeping as I had the dream.

In reality, I woke up to find ASU in the lead through my iPhone on m.espn.com.  I was feeling pretty good about myself and hoping that my Sun Devils could start the season 4-0.

See highlights below (or in my case, lowlights)




Now, I woke up to my facebook feed to find that ASU was losing big to UCLA at the start of the 3rd quarter.  I was thinking to myself 'damn, here goes another choke job on the big stage by my Sun Devils."

Thursday Night was another colossal failure by my Sun Devils to make a positive statement in the national spotlight.  Final Score: UCLA 62 ASU 27.  This game follows a series of failures by my Sun Devils versus quality competition.

Here are some losses by my Sun Devils on the big stage:

#11 USC 44, #7 ASU 24 (2007-Thanksgiving Day)
#3 Georgia 27, ASU 10 (2008)
#8 Boise State 56, ASU 24 (2011 Las Vegas Bowl)
#2 Oregon 43, ASU 21 (2012)
#7 Stanford 38, #11 ASU 14 (2013 PAC-12 Championship game)
#11 UCLA 62, #15 ASU 24 (2014 Thursday Night)

In order to be the best, you have to beat the best.  That is nevermore true than it was last night.  My Sun Devils will never, never, NEVER become a part of college football's elite until they can manhandle the opposition that is in front of them that is better than them going into a game.

My Sun Devils will excite the masses in the beginning, make us feel good about ourselves, and then lay an egg on us.

Also, it's time to get rid of the #Blackout campaign at Sun Devil Stadium.  The way my team plays, our fans seem dressed more for a funeral than for a championship quality victory.

It doesn't matter who our coach is or who our coach was.  It matters who we have as players on our team.

The belief of you defeating an opponent has to come within my team's players.  Our players have to be stronger than the other team's players in order to succeed.  Our teams have to beat the stronger teams in order to be part of the national conversation when it comes to naming college football's elite teams.

UCLA finally figured it out how to be an elite team on Thrusday Night, by beating the hell out of someone in all phases of the game.  UCLA is now part of the PAC-12 Championship race and the national conversation.  ASU is not.

It's time for ASU to learn how to win a big game.

That's my dream.  What's yours?

No comments: