Total Pageviews

Friday, June 19, 2009

The May 2009 Phoenix Trip

I was in Phoenix for a weekend getaway with Kelly in Late May. Friday was a travel day from Hartsfield Airport to Sky Harbor Airport. After we got on the road in our Toyota Yaris, We traveled down I-10 Eastbound to 40th street and took Kelly to Whataburger. I wanted us to experience Whataburger for all its glory, and we did. It was yummy. All this was done on May 29, 2009.

Saturday, May 30, 2009, we ventured into downtown Phoenix for our first trip to Chase Field (better known to me as the "BOB" or Bank One Ballpark). It was my first trip there in nearly 10 years, and the visit didn't disappoint. There was alot more Sedona Red inside the stadium. The Seats were still forest green. The roof was closed for the game, and sadly, the Braves lost 3-2 in 11 innings. After the game, we got ready for dinner at historic Monti's La Casa Vieja near Downtown Tempe, Arizona. It was my first visit there in nearly 2 years, and it was probably my 10th overall. I met an old friend from High School, Dan Karnes, and his girlfriend for a lovely dinner. For another blog post soon, I'll write about how they get me on the drinks.

Sunday, May 31, 2009 was outdoor day at the Desert Botannical Gardens. Before that we experienced yet another culinary delight, Jack in the Box. I had my usual 2 tacos plus a sourdough burger and Kelly had a Chicken Cibata Sandwich. Kelly tried one of the tacos, and I'll never forget her asessment of it. She said it was "pretty good, kind of nasty." Looking back on it now, how did I ever eat them in the first place? They tasted good to me then, but I'm not so sure now.

At the Desert Botannical Gardens, we checked out the blooming flowers, the cacti, and the glass exhibit throughout the garden. Alot of cool glass was firmly planted into the ground to make such beautiful art on a hot desert day.

Traveling to Atlanta from Phoenix while taking the red eye is a gamble. First of all, nothing is ever open at the terminal past 9pm over at Sky Harbor Airport. It is rough waiting 3 hours for a flight without proper food and entertainment. Luckily, we bought snacks and Kelly had her iPod with the best of the Daily Show from 2008. On my flight back to Atlanta, I got 2 hours of sleep on the plane. It is always tough to get a good night sleep on a plane.

I love you kelly and we will have fun on vacation again, this time to Chicago.

No comments: