Total Pageviews

Monday, February 16, 2015

A dream come true for me as a commuter

Earlier on Sunday I saw signs on I-75 Southbound heading into Downtown Atlanta saying "Speed Limit 65".  I saw those signs as I was approaching the Cobb Cloverleaf, better known as the I-75/I-285 interchange in Northwest Atlanta on the Cobb County side.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  My eyes didn't deceive me, I think.  As I passed through the Cobb Cloverleaf, I saw more signs posted as having a 65 mile an hour speed limit.

I was so amazed by what I saw.  For the first time ever in my 15 years of living in the Atlanta Area, I could go 65 MPH comfortably with fear and threat of being pulled over.

Not only that, it's the right thing to do to have traffic freely flowing at 65 MPH when there's no rush hour traffic or any traffic jams to speak of.  People in my town are used to going fast no matter what the speed limit says.

I know it is dangerous by the other drivers to speed or ride my bumper, but I'm a realist.  I know what's going on when I'm behind the wheel.  I can't go into someone else's head to see what they're thinking when I'm in my own car.

Well it's time for me to go now.  It's time for me to go home to the comfort of my family.  I'll see if the signs say "Speed Limit 65" going Northbound from Downtown Atlanta.  That'll be a pleasant surprise.

One more thing, I wish I had the photos to prove to you what I saw.  Since I was driving, I could not rightly take a picture and operate a vehicle at the same time.  I have to keep safety in mind when I'm behind the wheel.

My dream for down the road (no pun intended) is to teach my son good driving habits.  The best way I can do that for now is to practice them each and every day.

No comments: