Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 1, 2014

20 years, I can't believe it

I could have never dreamed that it would be 20 years ago today that I graduated from high school with my class from Red Mountain in Mesa, Arizona.

So many things have happened and so much has changed since I last set foot inside a high school classroom.

Before I get started, I would like to say that I am sorry that I was not able to attend my 20-year class reunion.  Life took a turn for me when I became a father for the first time on Christmas Day last year.

My baby boy Ben is now five months old and he's growing faster than I can keep up with.  Ben has come a long way from when he was sad and mad to a happy, laughing, sleeping, and content baby.

I have experienced so many highs and a couple of crushing lows since my time at RMHS.

Here are the high points of my life post-1994:  I got married to the love of my life Kelly in 2011, I met my mother in 2009 after so many years of not knowing she was still alive, I became a father last year, and I've traveled much of the USA including stops in Arizona and California again.

The low points of my life have been when my dad died in 2007 and when I got laid off from CNN in 2011.  I've bounced back from both of those trying times with love and support of my friends and family along the way.

I've gotten to live my dream of working in television as an editor, writer, video producer, and logger.  I've basically gotten paid to watch TV and log some of the most important events in history and some of the most important plays in ballgames in my time with CNN, The Weather Channel, and now here at CBS46 in Atlanta.

Some people may say that some of the best times of our lives were spent during our lives in high school.  I would dare say that the best times of my life have been within the past decade after our 10-year class reunion.

I would even argue that the best is yet to come.  I still feel that I have a lot to do, a lot to see, and a lot to share with my wife and son.

I've seen how advanced television, the internet, social media, smartphones, technology, and journalism have become since 1994.  I can't wait to see what the next 20 years will bring in our lives.

I would also like to take the time to remember our classmates who may be no longer with us.  Let's raise a glass to them and remember all the good they brought to our lives, for that they are no longer suffering and having the utmost happiness wherever they may be today.

We've all had great moments and outstanding achievements in our lives.  What are you most proud of today?

No comments: