Total Pageviews

Monday, June 16, 2014

Distant Video Replay of 2014 #23: San Diego Padres' Tony Gwynn gets hit # 3,000 (1999)

See video below at the end of the story.

Tony Gwynn was one of my favorite San Diego Padres of all time.  I was fortunate to see him play in three cities:  San Diego, Phoenix, and Here in Atlanta.

I was very fortunate to see him and my Padres on TV when I was growing up in Mesa, Arizona.  I would like to thank the fine folks at old KUSK-TV from Prescott, Arizona for offering a feed of the Padres games to my TV.

Just after a commercial break from an Atlanta Braves game, SportSouth showed a highlight reel tribune to the great Mr. Padre.

I didn't learn of his death until just before noon today.  I got a text from two of my best friends who are huge baseball fans.  I got the news and the tributes from watching MLB Network and ESPN2.  Man I wish I could see him hit the baseball one more time.

When I needed something to do in the summertime to fight off boredom, I would watch and listen to a lot of baseball.  My Padres in the early 90's gave me hope as a young fan.

Knowing that Tony Gwynn wanted to study hitting made be believe he cared about his craft.  He was already one of the best hitters in Major League Baseball, and for him to carry video equipment to study his own swing made him the best hitter in the business.

I could only hope to have the same dedication that he had.

Here's a look at Tony Gwynn's 3000th hit.

No comments: