Total Pageviews

Monday, August 25, 2014

Had a dream of being in Alaska

Over the weekend, I was at my friend's house with his family (along with my father) somewhere in Alaska.  I remember watching some TV and having coffee and drinks with them.  I don't remember what I saw on TV, maybe it was a 1980's drama or something.  I remember the sun was setting around 9:00 PM one night.

The following morning, it was 10:00 AM and it was still purple dark outside. I remember having my morning coffee and for some reason, my dad put a finished cigarette in my drink.  I remember drinking it, and thinking to myself 'that's disgusting.'  I even told my dad that what he did was gross.  I can't believe I would ever drink coffee with a cigarette inside.

In reality:  I have never been to Alaska.  I remember that the days are longer in the Summer.  I think the sun is out 20 hours a day in the Summertime.  I had a few friends and classmates from Arizona State University's Walter Cronkite School of Broadcasting get their first TV jobs in Alaska.  Even one of my closest friends and co-workers from The Weather Channel worked in Alaska for years.

I know that Sarah Palin is from Alaska.

Finally, I saw Alaska depicted in cartoon fashion in "The Simpsons Movie."  That alone inspired me to know what was going on in the news from the 50th state in the country.

It would take my retirement for me to be able to go on an Alaskan cruise with my wife and family.  Someday, I will have the desire to go to Alaska for the first time.

No comments: