Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Journal entry for the weekend of April 23, 2016

Finally, the weekend is here!!!!!

I woke up just late enough to feel like I got a good night's sleep after the tough week of work that I had.  Mistakes galore were the day(s) for me for the afternoon newscasts.  Nobody in management made fun of me or called me out on them, so that made me feel good.

The whole family and I got to go to Swift Cantrell Park in Kennesaw to go out and have a good time.  Ben got to go play on the playground and I got to play with him some.  Ben ran on the toys where the slides were and I made sure that he was safe all the way through.

I met up with one of the nursery workers at my church and saw her with one of her children.  It's neat that we get to see some familiar faces around our community.  I like it.

We all worked up a sweat after we walked around the trail at the park.  I felt better after walking around.  I thank my wife for pushing the stroller for our boys.  Ben wanted to take a ride along with Blake.  They were both good.  The only thing they did was drop their respective sippy cups on the ground.

Later that same night, Ben got to be outside with me as I was getting ready to get the grill going.  I cleaned the grill and emptied out the grease trap inside.  I saw grease and rainwater in the trap.  my wife had to get a napkin to soak in the water before we dumped the grease trap out.

As Ben was out to play, I was putting all the chicken on the grill.  Since two of the three burners work, one side of the grill was considerably hotter than the other.  After grilling one side of the meat for five minutes, I flipped all the pieces over and then I rotated them from one side to the other.

The one lesson I learned and re-learned again was that I really need to grease the grills before cooking.  I found that a couple of pieces of my chicken broke off (one of them fell out of the top of the grill and into a pit).  Sometimes I get scared that my grill is too greasy.  I don't feel that way about it anymore.  I'm going to go all greasy and oily on my grill from now on.

After we grilled our chicken, we threw on some corn onto the grill to complete our feast.  Our chicken and our corn turned out better than we dreamed.  We had to wait to enjoy our meal for a while.  We had to get Ben to bed before we indulged in our feast.  Boy it was good.  The chicken was moist and hot.  The corn was warm and sweet.  Kelly's butter that went onto the corn was delicious.

It was a good night.  We had some celebratory beers before, during, and after dinner.  That was the best way to go to bed that night.

Sunday was a bit challenging.  We were unsure that we were even going to make it into church on time.  I admit I was a little nervous and worried that we weren't going to make it. I had to make sure I was O.K. with not being able to take a shower before we would go.

Suddenly everything came together.  Kelly got better, I was feeling better, and the boys were more than cooperative with us in getting ready to go to church and the nursery.

We heard the preacher's sermon about sin and how we miss the mark.  I sin a lot, and I am glad that Jesus Christ died for my sins.  I'm glad that I have a redeemer for the things I did bad and for the things I did not do good.

After church, we went out to RaceTrac to get our drinks and newspapers with coupons.  Once we got back to go home, we had a great lunch from our harvest from last night.  Ben got to eat the chicken we grilled for the first time.  I think he liked it.  Blake is still too young to eat the chicken.  He has the teeth, but not the experience.  I hate to leave him out of our family feasts.  I would go on to do that again at dinnertime when we got Pizza Hut for dinner.

Since delivery time took an hour, it was my idea to get Ben a bath earlier than usual.  I got to listen to some Dokken on my iPhone to get him going.  Ben was less interested in letting me shampoo his hair and more interested in playing in a shallow bathtub.  He would go on to whack me a few times before I got him in his PJs.

I love my family so much.  I can't imagine life without them.  It tires me out sometimes, but being a father is truly the best job I've ever had.  I need to continue to act like it is and be grateful for all the opportunities I have in being the best daddy I can be.

I'll be back for more on Monday.


No comments: